Thu 23 May 2013
Nottingham's reputation as a leading science and technology location is underpinned by the growth of the Biomedical Sciences sector in the city.The Biomedical sector in Nottingham ranges from University spin-outs to corporate headquarters of major pharmaceutical companies. At 15% of the national total, the East Midlands has one of the HIGHEST CONCENTRATIONS of medical technology companies in the UK in fields such as drug development, oncology, regenerative medicine and animal health.
Nottingham's Key Facts:
Nottingham's £25m Centre for Biomolecular Sciences brings together the expertise of over 300 world-leading scientists in drug discovery, cancer research, stem-cell science, bacteriology and regenerative medicine.
Nottingham is a thriving international centre of scientific excellence with two leading universities in the field of Biomedical and Life Sciences. Nottingham's universities have research areas of 'Internationally Excellent' and 'World-Leading' standards in fields such as Cancer Research, BioSciences and hospital and laboratory based clinical subjects.
Developing Innovative Space
From start up offices and laboratory space to high-tech science parks, Nottingham is able to offer the right solutions for Life Science and Biomedical businesses. To find out more about the wide range of Science Properties in Nottingham visit the Nottingham Science Property website.
Nottingham BioMed facts
- Over 2,000 students graduated from Nottingham's two universities within biomedical sciences
- The University of Nottingham’s School of Pharmacy is the HIGHEST RATED school in the UK
- Home to BioCity Nottingham - one of Europe's largest Bioscience innovation centres housing over 70 companies and 525 staff
- Planned development of MediPark on a 3.7 hectare site to meet the needs of the medical technology and clinical research healthcare sectors
- Home to the region's specialist support and innovation networks for the Healthcare sector through Medilink East Midlands and the Healthcare iNet.